BHS’s New Student Teacher: An Introduction to Mr. K

Meet the new choir student teacher: Mr. K. He came to Berkley this year and is student teaching under A Capella teacher Ms. Smith. I asked him a few questions about himself, so we can get to know him better.

Q: What is your name and where are you from?
A: My name is Collin Kuss (Mr. K) And I am from Novi, Michigan.

Q:What college are you enrolled in?
A: I’m enrolled at Oakland University.

Q: What duties do you have outside of BHS? What types of classes are you in right now in school?
A: Outside of school, I am required to compile research, lesson plans, and meet with my advisors and fellow student teachers once every two weeks. We also read articles and books on the subject of teaching and create discourse on the topics.

Q: What has been the most challenging aspect of teaching so far?
A: So far, I’m struggling with lesson planning and classroom management the most.

Q: What has been the most rewarding aspect of teaching so far?
A: I have loved exploring music with my students and watching them make discoveries in their own musical abilities.

Q: What has made you want to go into teaching?
A: I have been inspired by many music educators in my life, and my love of music and education inspired me to become a teacher.

Q: What has made you want to teach your specific subject?
A: Music is an art that is so important to not only myself, but the world at large. Choir is my personal musical medium, and I have a deep passion for it.

Q: Favorite way to spend your free time
A: Outside of making music, I play video games, and partake in other nerdy activities of that nature.

Q: What class are you teaching for?
A: I’m teaching for A Capella, and Belle Tones at Berkley High School, and 6th, 7th, and 8th grade choir at Anderson Middle School.

Q: What is your favorite part of being a student teacher?
A: Learning to strengthen the weak areas in my teaching.

Q: What are your plans after student teaching?
A: After student teaching I plan to start applying for teaching jobs and moving (hopefully) to Ferndale with my fiance.

Q: What have you learned from your student teaching experience so far?
A: I have learned so many things it is hard to pick just a few. I’m so happy to be learning how to best teach music. From running rehearsals, to teaching theory and musical skills.

Q: What do you like about the Berkley School District?
A: I love the students at Berkley, and the sense of community that this district strives to create. Everyone is kind, positive, and willing to work hard together to create something amazing.

Q: Do you have any pets?
A: I have 2. Charlie a goldendoodle and Louis a Yorkie Shih Tzu.

Q: What is one fun fact about yourself?
A: I got to sing backup for The Rolling Stones in the Oakland University Chorale.