Bears of Berkley Senior – Azrael Lomax

Q: What is your favorite school club, activity, or elective?
A: Probably GSA (Gender-Sexuality Alliance), just because I put so much into it. I like seeing how it reaches people, especially for the Day of Silence. That was a lot of fun just to see how many people it reached and how many people came out of the woodwork [to support].

Q: What career path are you interested in pursuing in the future?
A: I’m going to college to be a mortician, so I’m going to be working with dead bodies.

Q: What is one perk of being an upperclassman?
A: You can talk to your teachers and hall monitors a lot more. They kind of get that you’re tired, and you’re not as rude anymore because you’ve grown [as a person]. It’s nice to have that mutual respect and relationship between staff and students.

Q: What is one study technique that has helped you in high school?
A: Use audiobooks if you can. I use audiobooks and do my worksheets while I listen. I can do other homework or clean my room while listening. It’s basically like listening to music, and you read the book and understand it.

Q: Do you have any embarrassing or funny freshman year stories?
A: During “freshman pushback” at a football game, my friend dropped their phone off of the fence and didn’t have one for a week after that. It’s funny in retrospect.

Q: What is your favorite memory from being a student at Berkley High School?
A: My junior year I was able to write one of my first long essays and got a really good grade on it; I was really proud of myself. That just kind of started me feeling like I could do stuff in my life, that I could get good grades if I really wanted to. It was a great moment for my confidence.

Q: Any words of wisdom you wish to share with people reading this?
A: Freshmen: get out of the middle of the halls. And for everyone, don’t be mean to people, they don’t want to deal with that. Just be nice.