Save Money, Make Coffee

Photo from USATODAY

Caffeine addictions. We all have one. Whether yours takes the form of canned energy drinks or an iced honey vanilla latte, we can all agree that feeding a caffeine addiction is one of our favorite bad habits. The catch? It can get expensive. Six or seven dollars may not seem like much when you swipe your card, but every teenager knows that yucky feeling when a notification comes through that your debit card balance is less than $50. So what do we do? In this article, I will give you a few tips on how to make your favorite coffee at home in the hopes that you can keep your balance from dipping into the red.

Although the espresso machine at your favorite local coffee shop may make the process of making coffee look daunting, there are several other ways that are perfect for beginner at-home baristas.

French Press
The french press happens to be my personal favorite way of brewing coffee. Buy your coffee grounds from your favorite small business (Berkley Coffee has a stupendous selection) and for only $20 on Amazon, you can buy a french press that will turn your coffee grounds and boiling water into a strong brew. By just pressing the grounds a few times and letting it steep for a couple minutes, you will have the perfect coffee. It’s also important that your grounds are coarse, otherwise they will leak through into your coffee. The french press is also a great way to make your coffee in bulk for the week ahead. Simply double or triple the amount of grounds and hot water you use, and store your coffee in the fridge. This is also the best method for iced coffee drinkers that way your coffee is already made and cool.

Drip
Also a rather simple approach to brewing coffee at home with grounds, is the drip method. For as little as $14 dollars on Amazon, you can get a coffee dripper. Simply pour hot water over your grounds in the filter and watch the magic happen–the strong blend will slowly drip down into your mug below, supplementing you with the perfect way to start your morning. Although this is a great way to make your own coffee, using a french press does tend to make for a stronger cup, so it is important to keep your personal preference in mind when deciding which method is best for you.

Starbucks Single Serve Cold Brew Packets
For the ones that crave fast and easy, these dissolvable single serve packets are perfect for iced coffee lovers. Instead of paying $8 for one coffee, you can pay $8 for a pack of five coffee packets at Starbucks. Just stir the packet into cold water and you instantly have a cold brew. Start the week off right by picking up a box of coffee packets.

The Final Touches
To top off your freshly brewed coffee and imitate your favorite cafe, you can add your choice of syrups, milks, and other odds and ends like honey and cinnamon. Berkley Coffee sells a wide variety of syrups from Pink House Alchemy that take any coffee to a new level. Pro tip: when making an iced coffee with honey, add the honey to your hot espresso otherwise it won’t blend into your coffee.

Although the process may seem daunting at first, making your own coffee at home is a great way to save money and experiment with new recipes. Not all of us are perfect and can get through the day without coffee, but at least now you are a little more financially literate in your addiction.