The Top Shots This Fall: What You Need to Know

It’s that time of year. The leaves are starting to fall and the air is getting cold. While fall is cozy and pleasant, it also brings the flu and COVID-19 viruses along. As we go back to school, the weather is more favorable for both the flu and COVID. The lower humidity allows the viruses to survive better in the dry air. Experts from The Center of Disease Control (CDC) say that everyone should at least have the flu and COVID shot going into the fall season.
No one enjoys getting the flu, so getting the vaccine should be in everyone’s interest- especially when there are 41 million cases each year on average (Forbes). Not only does it prevent you from getting sick, but it also prevents you from passing it to others who could become very ill. The shot decreases the severity of one’s symptoms and the length of time they have the flu for if they get it. It is important to get the shot because the flu could lead to hospitalization and death. If you get it, your immune system is down and you are much more susceptible to other serious illnesses. The CDC recommends people ages six months and older to get the vaccine once every year. This is because the virus is constantly changing, so the vaccine is often being altered, and the shot only lasts one year. The CDC also recommends that you get the shot at the latest by the end of October, because flu season is October through January. According to Michigan.gov, the shot takes about two weeks for antibodies to develop in the body, so it is best to get it as soon as possible. The CDC states that “side effects include soreness, redness, and/or swelling where the shot was given, headache (low grade), fever, nausea, muscle aches, and fatigue”. It is best to get the shot on a day where you can relax after. They also say you can still get the vaccine if you have a mild illness like a cold. You can get the shot at your local Rite Aid, CVS, Kroger, Costco, and Walmart, or go to vaccines.gov to find a location closest to you. Getting the shot is the best way to protect yourself and your community.
The COVID shot is another very important vaccination. COVID has impacted almost everyone in our population and getting the vaccine will continue to stop the spread of this deadly virus. Getting the vaccine can protect you from severe illness, hospitalization, and death. It can also help with post-COVID conditions like long covid if you do get sick. Long COVID is when the symptoms of COVID last longer than when you are infected with the virus. It can last weeks to months to years. Long COVID is very harmful to one’s health as it causes extreme fatigue, brain fog, shortness of breath, muscle aches, anxiety, depression, chest pain, insomnia, and dizziness. The Food and Drug Association (FDA) recently approved a new round of COVID booster shots that are available for everyone who is six months or older. It is best to get these shots as soon as possible because COVID is on the rise once again. The CDC recommends that everyone gets these shots yearly to continue one’s safety and immunity. If you have had COVID, then the CDC recommends to wait three months after your first date of symptoms to get the vaccine because you can get COVID again. There are many different types of vaccines: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Novavax, and Johnson and Johnson. According to the CDC, the side effects can include discomfort, achy, loss of appetite, pain where shot was given, sleepiness, and swollen lymph nodes. Go to vaccines.gov to find a location near you to get the COVID shot.
All vaccines are there to boost your immunity to an illness and to keep you safe. Many doctors are recommending getting the flu and COVID shots together! Go to vaccines.gov to find your closest vaccine carrier and get the shots to protect yourself and your community!