The Student News Site of Berkley High School

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

BHS Launches New Zero-Hour Tutoring Initiative

Two students working during zero-hour tutoring

As part of a new initiative from the Michigan Department of Education, schools across Michigan have received funding from the state to offer a new “zero-hour” tutoring program to students. Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed off on the bill, dubbed the “MI Kids Back on Track” earlier this year, which aims to provide over $150 million for schools in Michigan to provide extra assistance and tutoring to students in order to combat learning loss that occurred during the COVID-19 pandemic.

At Berkley High, the funding allows three teachers from each of the four main subjects (Math, English, Science, Social Studies) as well as Spanish, to provide after-school support as Academic Support Specialists three days per week. According to the position summary, a Support Specialist provides “academic assistance services to students who need remedial assistance, including tutoring students in specific academic areas related to their core curriculum and/or assisting students with their homework assignments during the before or after school program”. In other words, the goal of these teachers is to help struggling students with assignments in their main classes as well as homework.

Mr. Meloche explained how this program came to be, saying “The district received funding to support learning from the pandemic. Our Director of Teaching and Learning, Mrs. Meghan Ashkanani, discussed the idea of zero-hour and after-school academic support for struggling students. From there, each school was allowed to create a program that best fit the needs of their students.” As for selecting the teachers to help tutor, Mr. Meloche said “I reached out to department chairs and asked them to talk with their department about the positions. After that, teachers signed up to be tutors, and we built a schedule based on their availability.” When asked what he thought the student response to the program would be, he said “Our goal is to support struggling students in the four core areas plus Spanish. Hopefully, we can help students get back on track and pass their classes.” In addition, when I asked if they could also assist students in AP classes, Mr. Meloche said “Since this program is funded by learning loss grants, it is ideally aimed at students who are struggling in their classes.”
Any students wanting to take advantage of this program can stop in the LMC after school on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:45-4:45 to receive tutoring help.