Athlete of the Month: Nadia Watt

Nadia Watt playing basketball
Nadia Watt playing basketball
Julian Glass

Sophomore Nadia Watt has been a starter on the Berkley Girls’ varsity basketball team every game this season. Watt was double rostered, meaning she played for both varsity and JV, her freshman year, and this year achieved her goals of starting on varsity.

Watt has been playing basketball for nine years and has been on various basketball teams. Watt first started playing basketball for Berkley Hoops in 2015 and fell in love with the sport. Watt then went on to lead her Norup basketball team through three years of middle school. Since then, she started playing on two travel basketball teams and continues to play on them when she isn’t playing for Berkley High School.

When asked how she got involved in basketball, Watt explained, “My grandpa was the first person to encourage me to play basketball since he played basketball in college. I also receive encouragement from my friends and other family members who have played. They help inspire me to keep playing.” Watt told me how she wouldn’t be playing basketball if it wasn’t for those who encouraged her. She explained that there isn’t a better feeling than having people who support you as an athlete and a person.

Watt believes the best thing about being on the Berkley basketball team is “The energy and the positivity that our team has. Even when we aren’t doing good, everyone is always positive and supportive.” Throughout Watt’s past two years on the team, she is proud to have made varsity her freshman year. She is also proud to have started every game so far in her sophomore year. Looking ahead to her future seasons, Watt now has goals of being a leader on the team. She hopes to be a captain for the basketball team her senior year.

To any athletes who have dreams of playing on varsity basketball, Watt’s advice is “Put in the work and try to find a team that loves and supports you. A team that always has your back, even if something goes wrong. Along with having a great team, if you want to become a better player, practice in the offseason. Getting some practice in will pay off in the season.”