The Student News Site of Berkley High School

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

The Final Season of Curb Your Enthusiasm

“Curb Your Enthusiasm” is a sitcom made by and starring Larry David, the co-creator of Seinfeld. David plays a character that can be seen as a parodied version of himself. He is offensive, doesn’t abide by social norms, and lacks any sort of filter. Although in real life he would probably be insanely off-putting, it is impossible for the audience not to fall in love with Larry David while watching the show. Beyond David, “Curb” is jam-packed with renowned and hysterical actors, like Jeff Garlin, Cheryl Hines, Susie Essman, J.B. Smoove, Richard Lewis, Ted Danson, and so many more.

Although “Curb” is known for its outrageous scenarios and comedies, it is really a clever show. Each episode follows a format where every minute detail in the episode comes together in the smartest way possible at the end. Nothing that happens in “Curb” is incidental, and all of it will come back up to blow up in Larry David’s face. On top of this, each season also features one major (silly) plot point that is apparent in every episode and smartly wraps up in the finale. The previous season all revolved around the lack of a fence around a pool and Larry David casting his new movie. Although these may seem unrelated, the writers of “Curb” artfully intertwined the two. While sometimes this plot was ridiculously random, I have come to find that in “Curb”, the more outrageous, the better.

What truly makes “Curb” stand out is the fact that most of it is improvised. Jeff Garlin, who plays Jeff Greene on the show, explained to Vulture that the show operates on an outline rather than a script: “It’s seven pages long and is essentially the story of the show, and not very much of it is dialogue. I may get one line that Larry will write per episode that he wants me to say. Other than that, I know the story and I know what has to be said and I just say it.” Garlin goes on to say that he adlibs differently in each take, and the cast lets the dialogue take the episode in whatever direction it naturally flows. Other cast members share this sentiment. “Curb” actor Richard Kind told The New York Times that the “enemy” of acting on this sitcom is planning outlines beforehand, adding that it is instead “about the spontaneity of the moment, and even after doing it four, five, six times, different angles, you have to be as spontaneous as you were.” This makes the show all the more ingenious—every joke is organic, every actor mastering their work.

“Curb” aired in 2000, initially as a one-time hour-long special. It then was adapted as a TV show, and instantly developed a cult-following, which has kept it going for 24 years. A new season comes out every few years, but this year it is finally coming to an end with the twelfth season. The first episode of this final season aired on Max on February 4th.

The episode opens with the amazing theme song, and we pick up with some key characters from season 11. Star Maria Sofia Estrada has made it big from her casting in “Young Larry”, and David is somehow still dating the insufferable Irma Kostroski. There are a few especially hysterical clips in the beginning, but the main plot of the episode is that Larry, Sofia, and Leon (played by J.B. Smoove) are going to Atlanta to get a fee for appearing at someone’s birthday party. Everything in this episode revolves around glasses, a housekeeper, butt-dialing, and being cordial. Of course, these trivial things, a pair of glasses and cordiality, cause catastrophe for Larry.

As expected from “Curb”, the episode left no loose ends. First, in Atlanta, Leon’s aunt stretches out Larry’s glasses. This pair of stretched glasses follows us through interactions between Larry and the housekeeper in the hotel he is staying at, leading to a ridiculous yet laughable tension. These stretched glasses also prompt Larry to borrow a pair of the aunt’s glasses which fit him but look outrageous on him throughout the entire episode. Then, in a seemingly unrelated note, Larry is getting paid for his appearance at Micheal Fouchay’s party on the condition that he is cordial. Of course he can’t be and loses out on his check. In the end, though, Larry returns the glasses to the aunt and tries to be cordial by giving her a glass of water while she waits in line to vote. In true Larry David fashion, his amicability somehow leads him to be arrested, as it is illegal to give a voter in Georgia water in line (which is insanely true in real life). While this episode may seem choppy on surface level, every minute detail came together to haunt Larry through one pair of glasses.

Although this episode was a bit predictable for fans who know the style of his show, it was no less amazing because of that. There were a few aspects of this episode that stood out to me. First, Larry wearing the aunt’s glasses was amazing. Kudos to the costume designer for picking a pair of glasses that looked so ridiculous on David that you couldn’t help but laugh every time you looked at him. Secondly, I loved Larry’s commentary of the “Brooke-Brookie rule”. Finally, I loved the scene of Larry telling Siri to put a restaurant in his maps, as it was the perfect mixture of relatable and hysterical. This part of the episode didn’t completely come together in the end, so I wonder if it will show up later in the season.

There were a few other details that seemed too specific in this episode, leading me to believe they will come up again in later episodes. We see a scene all about oat milk, and we see a calendar Larry keeps, crossing off the days till he can break up with Irma.

All in all, as Larry would say, this episode was “Pretty, pretty, pretty good”. Although not the funniest one I have ever seen, it lived up to my expectations of how David would kick off the season. The bits were clever and engaging, and I think it set up a great final season!