The Student News Site of Berkley High School

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

A Fond Farewell To Mrs. Blackwell

Mrs. Blackwell and Junior Jessie Burns.
Mrs. Blackwell
Mrs. Blackwell and Junior Jessie Burns.

One of Berkley’s most beloved teachers, Mrs. Blackwell, is going to retire at the end of this year after 30 years of teaching. Mrs. Blackwell first started at Berkley as a student teacher in 1994. She began her teaching career as a substitute teacher and then was hired as a full time teacher at Berkley during that following fall. Mrs. Blackwell has taught a range of subjects, from social studies and physical education. Mrs. Blackwell explained that her favorite subject to teach when she first began teaching was swimming, saying “I really enjoyed teaching it, and I found it to be very rewarding. There were some classes where students didn’t know how to swim, but I got to teach them. It’s a very important life skill, so I enjoyed watching students grow and learn.” She explained that now her favorite subject to teach would be AP World History, as, “I believe that the history of the world is so important to learn, we can use it to become a better version of ourselves. It tells the story of how we have gotten to where we are today.”

From the first year Mrs. Blackwell started as a student teacher, she completely fell in love with the Berkley community. She said, “I think Berkley is a special place. While it is a pretty big school, it is still a very close community. Every student is able to feel connected in some way. There is just something extremely unique about Berkley, it is like a safe, almost cozy environment.” Mrs. Blackwell explains that the best thing about teaching at Berkley has been the relationships, whether it is with her coworkers or her students. She said, “There have been students over the years that I have kept in touch with, and I have watched them grow up.” Along with the relationships and the people at Berkley, Mrs. Blackwell explained that she will also miss, “the schedule, I’m a very scheduled person. I have gone to school every fall since I was four, so that will be an adjustment.”

When asked why she has decided to retire, Mrs. Blackwell said, “I have decided to retire because it is my 30th year of teaching, and I decided that was a good time to do so. I’m looking forward to trying something new and not being tied to a school schedule. My children are moving all over the country and trying to travel is much more challenging when you are locked into times when everyone else is also trying to travel. So I am looking forward to much more flexibility.” Mrs. Blackwell also explained her retirement plans will hopefully include a much more relaxed schedule, reading more, and exercising more, along with continuing to work.

Mrs. Blackwell’s advice for future students who plan on taking the courses she has taught is, “Make sure you are putting in the time, and try to enjoy the subject the best you can. There is so much about history that can be very interesting if you really tape into it and learn the story. Then hopefully it all comes together for you!” Mrs. Blackwell’s advice to her fellow staff members is, “Try to embrace this place and try your best to make yourself a part of this amazing community in some way. Whether it’s building relationships with staff or students or chaperoning. Take advantage of the things Berkley has to offer because it really does make you feel more of the Berkley community and that makes your experience better.”

Finally, Mrs. Blackwell would like to let the Berkley community know, “It has been an honor to teach here all these years. I hope that Berkley continues to be an amazing place to learn and grow. I hope everyone goes on to do amazing things!”