BHS Student, Jack Hamilton, Commits to the University of Kentucky for Swimming

Jack Hamilton

While touring the campus, Hamilton takes a picture outside of the swimming facility.

On Aug. 16, member and captain of the BHS Swim Team, Jack Hamilton, verbally committed to the University of Kentucky to continue his academic and swim career. Hamilton has been competitively swimming for ten years and has put in countless hours of work to become the best swimmer he can be. He is ranked as the sixth best swimmer in the state and 365th nationally and is still working his way up.

When asked about why he chose Kentucky over other schools, he stated, “The campus is amazing, the athletic and academic resources I get as a student-athlete are unbelievable, and the coaching staff is world-class and super welcoming. I knew right away it was the place for me to be.”

Hamilton is one of the best athletes to ever step foot in Berkley, as he is a 3x All-American, 9x state record holder, 8x MHSAA All-State, MHSAA 2019 champion, 6x school record holder, top 5 in Berkley history for all 11 swim events, Oakland County record holder, and a 5x OAA White record holder.

These outstanding accomplishments didn’t come easy, as Hamilton said, “I’ve been training daily for seven years, and I’ve had to sacrifice a lot physically as well as socially, but seeing where I’m at now, I can only say it’s been worth it.”

He recognizes the support his friends and family have given him to be where he is at today. “My parents and coaches have supported me every step of the way, and my teammates have had my back since day one. I wouldn’t be where I’m at without the ‘Cudas,” Hamilton said when asked about his guidance over the years.

With still roughly a year to go until Hamilton enrolls at UK, he has his eyes set on the Division 2 state record, which he’s confident he would’ve gotten last year before the Covid-19 outbreak canceled the season. He is super excited to compete against other elite schools and in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) championships. After college, Hamilton hopes to swim in the ISL (International Swim League), earn a master’s degree in Physical Therapy, and work with professional athletes and teams throughout his career. It’s been a long journey for the standout swimmer, and although competing against big time schools will never be easy, Jack’s work ethic will drive him to more success in the future.