Coffee and Bark: New Coffee Shop and Work Space Opens in Berkley

As I walked in the door, I was greeted by the warm smell of coffee and a cozy environment. The shop is decorated in modern yet welcoming decor, with couches and chairs, along with calm, slow music playing in the background. The cases are filled with pastries and unique dog treats, and the kind baristas are working hard behind the counter. Making amazing drinks with toppings ranging from whipped cream to freeze dried strawberries. There is plenty of seating for all the Berkley students passing by during lunch, along with two quiet office spaces available for booking. This is the new Berkley coffee shop, Coffee and Bark!
This shop, located on Coolidge, offers coffee, other beverages, pastries, and dog treats. The two office spaces they offer are The Q, which is a private office space and The Zo which is a semi-private office space. The Zo offers plenty of seating for businesses as well as regular customers.
I interviewed sophomore Thereasa Solomon to get her opinion on Coffee and Bark. Solomon explains, “There isn’t any place like this in Berkley within walking distance from BHS. It is a really fun place to go and meet up with friends at lunch.” She goes on to say that she likes how the space is designed and how welcoming the environment is. “I think that this shop is a great addition to Berkley. It’s been really nice to go to a different atmosphere at lunch, one different from school.” Solomon also tells me that if you are looking for a good non-coffee drink and pastries she highly recommends the strawberry lemonade and the buttered croissant.
I went on to interview Cher Jay, one of the owners of Coffee and Bark.

Q & A with Coffee and Bark:
What was your reason for picking this Berkley location?
We were looking for a location close to home with a strong local community. We wanted to provide an inclusive space where people can come enjoy a delicious cup of coffee, grab a pup treat, and hang out on our patio with their dogs, or cozy up at one of our tables to get some work or studying done.

How have the Berkley High School students affected your business?
In the recent weeks, since school has started back up, the Berkley High School students have been amazingly awesome and supportive in our coffee shop! So far, we see anywhere between 20-50 students every day, especially during their lunch break. The amount of student visits is starting to increase day by day, and we can’t thank everyone enough for loving and supporting our small local business!

Is this the first coffee shop you have ever opened?
Yes, our very first! Coffee & Bark is a family business created by my husband and I alongside our almost two-year-old son (Aiden) and in honor and memory of our two beloved pups (Q-Tip & Zoey).

What inspired you to create an office space in your coffee shop?
It was important for us to not only provide our customers with a delicious cup of coffee but also provide the space for people to gather or work from. For many, work life has changed quite a bit over the last several years. We wanted to make sure our work-from-home and entrepreneurs had a space available. The Q, our private office seats up to five people; with a desk, three chairs, and a couch. Customers can even order drinks and pastries while in The Q! Scan office QR code. Order. We deliver.

What is your favorite drink on your menu?
The Brown Sugar Shaken! Not only do we love it, but it’s also one of our most popular drinks. A close second favorite would have to be our Salted Caramel Cold Brew!

What is your favorite pastry on your menu?
Hands down, our danishes! We just love the warm multilayered sweet pastry. Between cherry and almond; it’s hard to choose!

Will you have seasonal drinks for winter?
Definitely! Get ready for all things warm and cozy.

Is there anything else you would like to let the Berkley students know?
We have online ordering available! Just order ahead of time here: https://www.coffeeandbarkmi.com and simply pick up. The best part is no waiting in line! Get more time to do what you love…like sipping on your favorite Coffee & Bark drink and snacking on that yummy butter croissant!

Next time, you don’t know what to do for lunch, consider stopping by Coffee and Bark, go and support a local Berkley shop!