Emily High: Athlete of the Month

Senior Emily High with a great hit

Athlete of The Month: Senior, Emily High

Q: What led you to play volleyball?
A: I’ve been playing volleyball since 6th grade (7 years). I’ve been interested in volleyball since I was a little kid; my sister played all through middle school and high school, and I used to go to all of the practices.

Q: What is one thing that makes you proud to be a Berkley Bear?
A: I’m proud to be a Berkley Bear because of the community we’ve built and are continuing to build. Everyone is so supportive and encouraging to each other which continues to build a positive mindset for the students of Berkley.

Q: What goals or accomplishments do you feel you have achieved in high school?
A: Something I am proud of is maintaining a good GPA while being a student athlete. Also, winning regionals [for volleyball] with the team of year ‘22.

Q: What is your favorite memory from being a student at Berkley High School?
A: My favorite memory is Senior Night of ‘22 and being able to give my best friend the celebration she deserved that night. I also loved and really enjoyed playing with this team because we all collectively worked together which made us a great team.

Q: What is one perk of being an upperclassman?
A: I would say experience and being able to help underclassmen perfect their skills.

Q: Are you planning on playing in college? If so, where?
A: Yes, hopefully at Trine or Grand Valley.

Q: What keeps you motivated while balancing volleyball and school?
A: What keeps me motivated is knowing that to play the sport I love I have to keep my grades up. Knowing that my grades are good helps my mental status so I don’t bring frustration on to court.

Q: What advice would you give to a younger athlete?
A: I would tell young athletes that just because you make a mistake or mess up doesn’t mean you won’t get better, you are meant to make mistakes and learn from them.