MEET MS. AL-NIMRI, BERKLEY’S SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST

Scarlett Buick

There are many jobs that are needed to run a school. One of them is a school psychologist, someone who specializes in supporting student learning. This month we are highlighting Berkley High School’s psychologist, Ms. Al-Nimri! Her job is to help students who may struggle with developmental issues and anything else that may impact their learning. Ms. Al-Nimri is in room 266, and is happy to help whenever her door is open!

Q: When did you start working here? Why BHS?
A: I started working here just last year, so I’m pretty new! I love it here. I used to be in elementary and middle school and when the opportunity came up, I was nervous about moving up to the high school level, but I love it. I would never go back! I was an intern here while I was studying, and I just loved the district and all the students, staff, and parents. Everyone was so supportive and made me so comfortable!

Q: Can any student make an appointment with you?
A: I always say that anytime my door is open, I am open to help you! I love meeting new students, and I am always here to offer support when I can!

Q: What is your background in psychology?
A: I got an undergraduate degree in psychology and a graduate degree in psychology at Wayne State University.

Q: Did you always want to be a psychologist? Was there anyone who inspired you?
A: I initially always wanted to be a teacher, I knew that I wanted to work with kids. In my later years of high school, I took a psychology class and immediately fell in love with it. I knew I was really passionate about psychology, and I wanted to pursue it in college. My psychology teacher was a big pusher and really opened the doors for me and supported my journey!

Q: What is your favorite part of your job? Favorite part about BHS?
A: Definitely working with the students and developing the relationships I have with them.

Q: Any advice for Berkley students?
A: Work hard, do what you love, and be kind to people!

Q: How do you help students in other ways, even if they don’t approach you directly?
A: I work with staff like teachers, paraprofessionals, counselors, and administrators, to support students. So even if I may not see a student directly, I can still be involved in the process and work behind the scenes to help in any way I can!

Q: What does a typical work day look like for you?
A: Every day is different! I do special education testing, work with families/outside therapists to support students, have one-on-one sessions or check-ins with students, collaborate with my team (that usually consists of special education teachers, counselors, social workers, and speech pathologist). And I have a lot of meetings!