The Student News Site of Berkley High School

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

Meet Berkley’s Social Worker, Ms. Gates

Ms.+Gates
Ms. Gates

Ever wondered who’s behind the support system for students dealing with academic or personal issues? Meet Ms.Gates, our school social worker, who is located in room 253. In this interview, we discover the motivations and daily experiences of Ms. Gates. From assisting students with different challenges to creating a safe environment for everyone at BHS, Ms. Gates is always here to help out. Join us as we step into Ms. Gates’ world and find out how she encourages students who may hesitate to seek help.

Q: What inspired you to become a school social worker?
A: I became a school social worker because I started as an education major, and I realized how difficult it is to be a teacher. I’m not really one for lesson planning or for grading, but I still wanted to help in a school capacity and to be someone that students could go to.

Q: What does a typical day in your role look like?
A: My day really depends on the students’ needs. Some days are extremely hectic, and I am constantly putting out little fires, but others days are more chill and I get to just hangout and do a lot of boring paperwork. The best part of my job is hanging out with the students.

Q: How do you collaborate with teachers, administrators, and other staff to support students’ well-being and academic success?
A: I collaborate a lot with teachers especially if they reach out to me, or if I know a student is struggling in certain classes. I reach out to them, and we talk about what the student is struggling with and how we can help and come up with solutions together. Administration is also very involved, there is a lot of communication to figure out what we can do to best support the student.

Q: What are the most common issues or struggles that students seek your help for?
A: I think that the most popular thing that I address is anxiety and overwhelming emotions with the amount of workload students get and how it is hard to be a teenager.

Q: How do you address the problems that students come to you for?
A: I teach them how to cope with their anxiety by using mechanisms such as breathing exercises in order to keep calm and stay on top of work.

Q: In what ways do you promote a positive school climate and mental health awareness among students and staff?
A: I do my best to reach out and make sure that both students and staff are doing okay. So it is really just having my door always open and allowing anyone to come in if they feel like they need to talk and that I am always here to listen.

Q: What advice would you give to students who may be hesitant or unsure about seeking help from a school social worker?
A: I understand that it can be intimidating to ask for help. I think that an important thing to know is that asking for help doesn’t always have to be in person. It can also be through email, leaving a note, or maybe talking to another staff member that they are close to asking to help meet up with the social worker. If the door is open everyone is always welcome.

Ms. Gates has been a wonderful addition to BHS. Students really appreciate having her here as she’s a fantastic resource. She knows how to make students feel safe and comfortable in and out of the classroom. We’re excited to see the ways she’ll keep helping us out!