Unforgettable Activities to Experience in Detroit This Winter

313presents.com

Between the constant cold air and the rare sight of sunlight, winters in Michigan can be difficult. Instead of isolation in the winter, we can choose to embrace the holiday season! Here is a list of great activities to do in Detroit this winter.

Campus Martius
First, we have the famous Campus Martius ice skating rink. Campus Martius is located in the heart of downtown Detroit. This allows you to be surrounded by the spirit of the city and great restaurants while you skate. You even have the large Detroit Christmas tree as your backdrop! The rink admission is greatly priced at $10 for adults and $5 for kids. You can even rent skates if you don’t have some of your own. It is open seven days a week from 10 am to 10 pm (weekdays) or 12 pm(weekends). After you skate you can also take a peaceful carriage ride around the park and Detroit area or get some cozy hot chocolate next to the rink. This winter bundle up in your warmest coat and enjoy being outside while skating with your loved ones.

Fox Theatre Holiday Show
The Fox Theatre Holiday Show is another great winter activity. It is located at 2211 Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit. There are many shows this holiday season, but here are some of the highlights: The Nutcracker (December 10th), Brett Eldredge Glow Live (December 15th), Mannheim Steamroller Christmas by Chip Davis (December 17th), and The Illusionists- Magic of the Holidays (December 21st – 23rd). Watching a holiday show is the perfect way to get in the holiday mood and enjoy this winter season in Detroit. If you are looking for tickets, you can go here: Official Fox Theatre Venue Information | 313 Presents.

Downtown Detroit Markets
The markets in downtown will get you right into the holiday spirit. The glass huts in Cadillac Square are surrounded by Christmas lights and decorations. Within these glass huts are more than a dozen Detroit vendors and artisans. They sell home decor, vintage apparel, gourmet foods, toys, and perfect presents for the holidays. The market is open November 9th through January 7th. If you are looking for more information go here: Cadillac Square | Food Trucks, Markets & More | Downtown Detroit Partnership.

Holiday Concerts at Orchestra Hall
Another great activity is to listen to a holiday concert at Orchestra Hall. Orchestra Hall is located in Midtown Detroit. It is the home to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO). There are many concerts you can go to this winter. Some include Voctave: It Feels Like Christmas (December 8th), The Snowman (December 9th), Home Alone in Concert (December 13th), Home for the Holidays (December 15th through the 17th), The Music of the Nutcracker with the DSO (December 20th), and Elf in Concert (December 22nd through the 23rd). Here is more information about Holiday Concerts at the Orchestra Hall: dso.org. Attending a concert here is the perfect chance to take time to relax and soak up some beautiful holiday music.

The Detroit Institute of Arts
Visiting The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) is a pleasant and educational experience that is open year-round. In the winter, they have special events on top of their regular exhibits within the museum. Every Friday night, there is a free drawing class held within the galleries. There is also a drop-in workshop to learn how to print and make notecards. The classes are Friday, December 1st from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Saturday, December 2nd from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., and Sunday, December 3rd from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. For more details, you can go to DIA.org.

Little Caesars Arena
One of my favorite winter activities is to watch the Red Wings or Pistons at the Little Caesars Arena. It is a great activity for you and your friends or family to go support your local sports teams! While watching hockey or basketball, you can feast on the delicious food that the Little Caesars Arena has to offer. From Italian to Mexican, they have it all. To get tickets and more information about the schedule go to https://www.313presents.com/venue/little-caesars-arena.
There are so many exciting activities to do in Detroit this winter, and I hope this article gets you in the spirit to go out and participate in some!