The Student News Site of Berkley High School

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

The Five Best Holiday Drinks

Starbucks.com

A highlight of many people’s holiday season is the drink menus at various coffee shops. Over the years, coffee shops everywhere have come up with the most creative and delicious drinks inspired by classic holiday flavors. Some even get new, festive cups in honor of the holiday season. Here is my review on the best drinks from five of the most popular coffee shops in the area.

When it comes to holiday drinks, Starbucks is truly unmatched. They have always had the best drinks but a few years ago they outdid themselves. One holiday staple is milk and cookies and Starbucks’‘Sugar Cookie Almond milk Latte’ does it justice. This drink isn’t crazy unhealthy, but it is still full of flavor. It tastes just like sugar cookies, comes in the shop’s trademark holiday cup, and is even topped with sprinkles!

Another coffee shop that definitely brings the holiday feel is Dunkin’. One of my favorite types of coffee is white mocha and Dunkin’ holiday spin on it. Their toasted white chocolate mocha is by far my favorite. It has notes of marshmallow and some vanilla in it and is great hot or cold. Even though I tend to order iced coffee I prefer it hot. While I usually don’t order flavored coffee from dunkin’ due to its sweetness, this one is the perfect coffee to flavor ratio.

A favorite coffee shop of BHS students is Office Coffee in Royal Oak. Although it doesn’t have any special-made drinks for the winter, their hot chocolate is unmatched. One of my favorite drinks to have in the cold weather is hot chocolate and this is one of my favorite places to get it from. It doesn’t cross the line of too sweet but it also isn’t watery. Overall a great version of a winter classic.

Another student favorite is Monarch on Eleven Mile. Although this shop has a variety of drinks perfect for any season, their peppermint mocha really shines in this time of year. Many coffee shops have peppermint mochas but few are as good as Monarch’s. Most times I have a peppermint mocha I can barely taste the chocolate and the coffee because the peppermint is so strong. In this case, the flavors balance each other out so well and create an overall delicious drinking experience.

The last coffee shop I am going to cover is Tim Hortons. Just like sugar cookies are a classic for the holidays, so are gingerbread cookies. Tim Hortons is bringing back its classic ‘Gingerbread Oat Milk Latte’ this year, and it is truly amazing. I usually don’t go for oat milk in my coffee, but this one is perfect. The flavor of the oat milk compliments the gingerbread flavor so well. Although I said above that the Dunkin’ coffee captured the holiday flavor better when hot, this one does justice when it is iced. A true must-order this holiday season.

Overall, these are the drinks that make my holiday season special. Although these are the best in my opinion, there are so many other amazing options on each shop’s menu not only for the holidays but also year round. Happy holidays!