The Student News Site of Berkley High School

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

Lacing Up for Success: A Preview of Girls Soccer

As we start turning the corner into spring, excitement builds up for the Berkley girls’ soccer season. The program has been preparing for months in order to succeed in this upcoming season. As a result of the reconstruction of Hurley Field, this year is anticipated to look different than usual. The varsity girls’ soccer team will not let this impact their games because they have an outstanding group of talented student-athletes ranging from freshmen to seniors. To get a sneak peak into the season, I talked to the four varsity captains: Maeve Nolan, Addison Hambright, Madeline Welsh, and Jessie Burns.

With many factors involved, the team has improved tremendously in the last few years. Several years ago, the program went through a change regarding coaching. Zach Hobson, the varsity head coach, has changed the program for the better. Welsh explains, “Having Zach as our coach has really changed the dynamic of our team on an athletic level, but also on a family level.” Hobson has encouraged a positive environment which has helped the girls develop individually and collectively. Welsh continues, “Four years ago, we were at the bottom of our league, but with the supportive coaching we have worked our way up.” Nolan similarly recognizes, “My freshman year, we almost got pushed down to the OAA Blue Division, but last year we finished in the top three of the OAA White Division.” This is a huge accomplishment considering the OAA Blue Division is the lowest of the three, and the White Division is in the middle of the three. The team is hoping if the season goes well, to get moved up to the OAA Red Division. This change has improved the team and made them the impressive group of players they are today.

Burns believes that when she thinks about the past few seasons, the team has been growing stronger as a unit, leading to her hopes that this season will be great. Despite seven seniors graduating in 2023, she believes hardworking teammates are filling their shoes. Burns explains, “It has definitely been a little hard because a good amount of [the seniors] were starters.” Even though these graduated players were an important part of the team, this year’s group of girls has adapted accordingly. Burns continues, “Everyone is growing really well and even though we lost a few players, we gained great quality.” Not only has the team gained seven new superb players, but the team is filled with talent that has varsity experience from the past. Nolan states, “As a team, we are working hard to hopefully win the league and win districts this season.” With the positive mindset and skills the group holds, all four captains agreed that the team is very capable of accomplishing this.

As mentioned above, Hurley Field is under construction this spring. Unfortunately, this falls during the girls soccer season. This was upsetting to many within the program, but thankfully, Ferndale saved the day and is lending their field to Berkley for games and practices. Berkley soccer is full of positivity and excitement, so not having a home field won’t put a damper on their season. Hambright shares, “Even though it is difficult not having a secure home field, we are all excited for this season and we want to succeed, so it will be easy to overlook not having Hurley.” Hambright speaks for herself as well as the rest of her teammates with this mindset. Hambright’s love for the game cancels out the negative aspects of a season without Hurley, but the differences are still present. While lacking a home environment this year, the team believes it will be hard to match the team spirit from the past. Welsh explains, “We, the captains, are trying to be more active on social media this year to get more people involved.” To stay updated and involved with the Berkley Girls Soccer Team, go follow their Instagram, @berkleygirlssoccer.

In addition to Hurley’s construction taking away the girls’ home field, it also made the scheduling unusual. This year, sixteen of their nineteen games are away. Usually, this would not be the case, but the team is sure to make the most out of it. The team believes nothing, including this, will stop their excitement and dedication to the game. Their schedule initiates all different types of feelings which include excitement, fear, and hope. When presented with the question of what their hardest game will be this year, Welsh answered with, “Clarkston will be challenging because we had a rough game against them last year. Now that they are in our league, we need to prove that we are on top.” Differing, Hambright answers, “I think Lake Orion will be a tough game because they are a good team.” It is noticeable that there will be a few challenging games in their schedule, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for fun ones! Hambright shares, “I’m really excited for the Royal Oak game, as is most of the team, because they are our rivals and a lot of us have played club soccer with Royal Oak players.” The rivalry game is always thrilling and filled with a competitive nature as well as many laughs. Their schedule seems to fit in everything that is needed to make a season complete.

All four captains believe this team is full of great athletes and people while on the field but also while off. Burns shares, “I want to ensure that this program will always be a safe community for everyone.” With sports, this can sometimes be a challenging concept to accomplish because of the competitive nature, but Berkley Girls Soccer seems to excel at making the community a safe place on, and off the field. This should be an indicator that this season will be one to remember!