Bears of Berkley – Freshman, Pierce Manter

Tyann Eades

Q: What were you scared of/concerned about going into high school?

A: I was scared of being in a new place and meeting new people, I didn’t know if people would like me. I was also concerned about balancing my grades with my social life. Over the course of the year though, I’ve learned that what other people say and think doesn’t matter, you just have to do you. Just focus on the one goal of keeping your grades up.

Q: When you were asked what you wanted to be when you grew up as a kid, what did you say?

A: I remember I wanted to be a photographer as a kid. I still kind of do, but I have other interests too now like singing and math.

Q: What do you want to be now?

A: I’m not sure yet, I’m still figuring it out. I still really love photography, but that may be more of a dream job. Realistically, I may end up working in an office or something.

Q: Who has been the biggest influence in your life? What lessons did you learn from them?

A: Probably my parents. My dad walked me through life and lifted me up when I was down and my mom always made sure I was on track. They really make sure I don’t go off the trail, or out of control, which has had a big impact on my life. They’ve taught me to be the best I can be, even when things don’t go as planned, and there’s always room to grow and turn things around.

Q: Tell a story of a place that is important to you. Paint a picture of the place and talk about why it’s important to you.

A: My family went to this island called Put-in-Bay every year. Fun fact, my parents’ ancestors were the first people to build a house on that island. We would go there every year until I was about 10 when our cottage got sold. We still go every few years and we got to see the house for the first time in a while and it looked so new. Some of my favorite memories were made at that place.

Q: What do you like best about yourself?

A: I like that I don’t intrude too much and keep to myself.

Q: What are your goals for the rest of the year?

A: My goal right now is to keep on top of things, and not let anybody else contribute to what I do and what happens. I don’t want to think about other people’s opinions too much.