What Would You Do After The Pandemic?

This pandemic has taken a toll on millions of people across the world, but finally, we see a light at the end of the tunnel. Over the next few months, Americans will be getting the COVID-19 vaccine and life will hopefully return to normal. During the last ten months, a little touch like a handshake has been forbidden due to fear of catching this deadly virus. The things we once took for granted are now an unimaginable luxury. Ordinary activities like going out to dinner, going on vacation, or hanging out with a friend, have been put to a halt. With a better future in front of us, members of Berkley High School have shared their hopes and dreams for their future for the end of the pandemic.

The first thing I’ll probably do is delete Zoom.

— Kylie Ritter

The pandemic has hit students especially hard since they had to adapt to a whole new learning environment. Because of online school, BHS students have not attended in person school in almost a year. When asked what she plans on doing once things are back to normal, sophomore Kylie Ritter says, I’m looking forward to life going back to normal and being able to do normal things like go to restaurants, and go see a movie at the movie theater. I’m also really excited to be able to go on trips and vacations.”

BHS Principal Mr. Meloche shares his intentions for when things return to normal. He says, “I know this may sound silly, but I’m looking forward to being able to give people hugs, high-fives, and handshakes. I think that one of the first things I am going to do is to get together with family again. It’s been tough to watch my kids only interact with their extended family through Zoom.”

Another BHS student, Junior Brynne Scully, shares that when the pandemic ends, the first thing she wants to do is go to a concert. She stated, “I missed a couple of concerts last year that I was really looking forward to because of the pandemic. As for what I want to do when the pandemic ends is to be able to see all my friends and family and not worry about getting myself sick or getting other people sick all of the time.”

I’m looking forward to being able to give people hugs, high-fives, and handshakes.

— Mr. Andrew Meloche

BHS guidance counselor Mrs. Weiss shares her desires for the end of the pandemic. She says, “I want to give my entire family a big giant group hug with everybody – my parents and my siblings. I just want all of us to have a meal together, but we have to hug each other first. I would just want to hang out with my friends and have birthday dinners as we do and in a restaurant. Just the simple things. I just want to hug my friends and family!”

While this return to normalcy is not on our immediate horizon, it will be soon enough. And when this new normal does arrive, let us not forget to cherish the everyday experiences that we once took for granted.