Events Coming to Detroit That You Can’t Miss

Streeter Lecka
March Madness game.

The city of Detroit always has things happening. New restaurants and big events are occurring constantly, along with the non-stop sporting events bringing business into Detroit, thanks to the Pistons and Red Wings who are currently in season. But there are bigger events coming that Detroit gets the honor of hosting. Here are some popular occasions that will be happening in Detroit that you can’t miss!

Detroit has the honor of being one of the host cities of the NCAA March Madness Tournament. There will be games for the tournament at Little Caesars Arena. The tournament will be played in cities all over the country, but Detroit will host games from March 29 to 31. These games will be during the Sweet Sixteen and the Elite Eight rounds of the tournament. The teams that will be playing in those games will be decided as the tournament continues. You can follow the tournament on CBS Sports, and if you are looking for something fun to do to stay involved with the tournament, you and friends can create your own brackets predicting who will win. Looking at the tournament games played in Detroit, they have the honor of hosting the 2027 Final Four for the tournament as well. The Detroit Sports Commission Executive Director Dave Beachnau, said “It’s an honor and pleasure to announce that the 2027 NCAA Men’s Final Four is coming back to Detroit,” The city hasn’t hosted the Final Four since 2009, which was their first year hosting.

Another big event that will be hosted at Campus Martius Park and Hart Plaza will be the 2024 NFL Draft. For the very first time, Detroit has the honor of hosting the NFL Draft. Following the Detroit Lions’ record-breaking season, many Lions fans are happy to get the opportunity to welcome thousands of NFL fans to their city. Detroit is hopeful that this will bring a large amount of business to the city. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, about 300,000 people attended the Draft last year when Kansas City hosted it. In a Detroit Free Press article, the mayor of Detroit, Mike Duggan says, “When you have 300,000 or 400,000 people coming from across America, we want to change the image of Detroit in their minds once and for all. We felt like to do that, we had to build the draft into the city.” In preparation for the draft, similar to the Hollywood Sign in California, a Detroit sign is being built on I94. The draft will take place on April 25 to 27. If you are interested in watching it, it will be on Fox Sports. Round One will be Thursday, April 25 at 8 p.m., Rounds Two and Three will be on Friday, April 26 at 7 p.m., and Rounds 4-7 will be on Saturday, April 27 at 12 p.m.

Along with countless sporting events in the upcoming year, Detroit will be welcoming many well-known music artists. On March 23, Olivia Rodrigo will be playing at Little Caesars Arena as part of her “Guts World Tour”. Rodrigo immediately sold out after the presale, but there are still tickets available from resellers. On April 6, Bad Bunny on his “Nadie Sabe Lo Que Va a Pasar Mañana” tour will also be making a stop at Little Caesars Arena. Nicki Minaj and her “Pink Friday 2” tour will also be coming on April 20. At Ford Field, Zach Bryan will be bringing his “Quittin Time Tour” on June 20. These are just to name a few popular concerts, but there are hundreds more!

All of these events occurring in Detroit are helping revive the city to what it once was. According to CBS Detroit, the Detroit Lions Playoff games alone generated about 50 million dollars for the economy. The NFL is expected to generate millions of dollars as well. If events that draw this much attention continue occurring in Detroit, the economy will only continue to grow.

If you are interested in attending any of these events or concerts there are many reseller sites such as TicketMaster or SeatGeek to purchase. You also might be able to purchase some of these at the LCA Box Office for events at Little Caesars Arena, or the Ford Field Ticket Office for events at Ford Field. Hopefully, you are able to attend or watch these upcoming events and concerts.