Where Do You Walk?

Lincoln Woods Nature Preserve

Are you just sick and tired of having to stare at boring cement streets in your unbearably urbanized suburb? Go seek nature! Luckily for us, Berkley is super close to some amazing trails and walking spots. Let’s dive into a few of the great ones!
Cranbrook Gardens
Cranbrook offers a variety of walking trails throughout the school’s campus. On these paths, you are completely immersed into nature, with a variety of flowers and forests. You can walk past fountains and pools, and can even spot some wildlife! Cranbrook is very large, so not only can you walk, but you can also explore! Cranbrook is personally one of my favorite places to walk because I always find something new there.
Booth Park
Located in downtown Birmingham, the Booth Park trail has some unexpected features! Contrasting the hustle and bustle of the downtown, this trail is tucked away behind a play structure in the park, and follows a very scenic river. Walking this trail, you may feel like you were transported into a forest, far from the city. Not only do you see various plants and trees, but you can also look at beautiful homes that are located right off of the trail. This is a great place to get a good walk in after running errands in the city!
Lincoln Woods Nature Preserve
This trail is closest in distance to the highschool in a surprising location. Directly above the Walter P. Reuther Freeway, this walking path gives an escape from the busy world. With thick, beautiful trees, and several subpaths, this trail allows you to take in its scenery while still feeling a sense of adventure. Not only is there a trail, but Lincoln Woods also offers a playground. It is an unexpected gem in the city of Southfield!
West Bloomfield Trail
This glorious trail in West Bloomfield travels a whopping 6.8 miles long. Being an extremely scenic walk, the trail includes bridges that take you over a variety of lakes and ponds. Being based right next to the Michigan Air Line Railroad, there are hints of history throughout the walk. This huge trail is definitely a beautiful one, and I highly recommend checking it out at one point or another.
With my personal favorites in mind, I thought I would ask fellow BHS students to see where they get their walk on. However, on my hunt for interviewees, I came to the conclusion that high school students don’t really go on walks! I was shocked, as a walker myself, and was determined to find out more. I talked to junior Aynsley Smith to find out more about why walking is not the way to go.
Smith felt that going on walks is “a waste of time”. She recognizes that walks could be beneficial for health, but believes that playing sports or general exercise is more efficient.
Whether you go on walks or not, it has been proven that they are good for you. For example, The Better Health Channel says that going on walks reduces the risk of developing osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and even some cancers. Those are some pretty great benefits!
Considering the beauty of nature and health benefits provided, going on walks is truly a great thing. The next time we are experiencing some warm spring weather, I hope you consider going on a stroll.