BHS Celebrates Reading Month

While reading has become increasingly overshadowed by television and movies in recent years, there are still many people who appreciate opening and enjoying a good book. Since March is designated as “reading month,” I thought it would be interesting to have several BHS students and staff share their all-time favorite books to serve as inspiration for the rest of the community.

Carly Spagnuolo:

What is your all time favorite book and why?
My favorite book is The Song of Achilles
How did this book impact your view of the world?
This book changed my view on love. It wasn’t like any type of love story I’ve seen in other books, it wasn’t simple. I guess it made my outlook on the world a bit more realistic but hopeful as well.
Would you recommend this book to BHS students?
I would highly recommend this book to other BHS students. It’s not too hard of a read and it’s still beautifully written.
What is one lesson you took away from this book?
A lesson I took away from this book is not to give up too easily because what you work hard for is worth it.
Why do you read?
I love to read because of the different world I can see. I hate finishing a book or a series because I feel like I lost something. Books really make me hopeful.

Mr. Duffy:

It is really hard to pick one book but I think of all the books I’ve read in the last five years, my favorite book is Sasha and Emma by Paul and Karen Avrich. It is a biography of two anarchist labor activists from the early 20th century. The way that the story is told is very unique. I was glued to it, always turning pages. By the end, I felt like I had gone on this incredible journey and was sad when the story was over.
I think it revealed to me an interest in the labor movement in the United States. It also clarified for me the importance of understanding power and what those in power will do with it to maintain it. It also clarified labor activism and solidarity and groups of people coming together to act in their own collective interest. When that happens, good things can happen.
Absolutely. I think if I had come to that book as a younger person, the trajectory of my life would have been different. My thinking about the world and my acting in the world would have been different. I would especially encourage students who are interested in American history to read it because it provides us a different perspective of our country’s past. It also provides readers with a set of tools and ideas that they can use going off into college.
Why do you read?
You spend so much time in your head as a human being, you owe it to yourself to make that experience as pleasurable as possible. To me, that is why reading is so important.

Rachel Nakisher:

My favorite book is The Fault in Our Stars because it is such a heartwarming story while also having some tragedy in it. There are multiple twists and turns so you never know what’s coming.
It made me think a lot deeper about taking advantage of everything that comes your way because you never know what is going to happen.
I definitely would recommend this book as a free-read book to read outside of school.
Cherish everyone around you and don’t take anyone for granted.
Why do you read?
Reading is a really good way to calm down, have an escape, and be away from social media. It is also a fun activity to do outside when it is nice out.

Overall, reading is an amazing way to explore your interests, to learn more about the world, and to enjoy yourself. While people read for many different reasons, the importance of reading a book once in a while stands strong.