Teacher of the Month: Elizabeth Meinhart

Lucy Cohen
Mrs. Meinhart teaching her Algebra II class.

Teacher of the month is a new segment of The Spectator where we feature a teacher at Berkley High School and take a deep dive into their lives beyond the classroom.. This September, we are featuring Elizabeth Meinhart. She teaches algebra I and II in room 261 at Berkley. She grew up in Warren, going to Warren Woods Tower High School, and continued on to attend Benedictine University in Illinois. There, she played volleyball and basketball! After college, Mrs. Meinhart taught for 7 years in the suburbs of Chicago and then went to DePaul University for graduate school. Now, Mrs. Meinhart is married with two girls named Alice and Lucy, and two dogs. She has taught for a total of 16 years, 8 of those being at Berkley. I asked Mrs. Meinhart several questions about her teaching career. Keep reading to learn more about her!
Q: What do you find most challenging/ rewarding about being a teacher? A: When a student is struggling through a specific concept but eventually “gets it”. It really is the best feeling as a teacher.
Q: How is this school different or similar to the school you went to growing up? Or other schools you’ve taught at? A: Berkley has a pretty similar feel to where I went to high school. Students at Berkley have school spirit and seem to enjoy the overall experience, and it was very much that way at WWT (Warren Woods Tower). We always loved going to the football games and participating in the pep rallies and dances. I felt supported by my teachers and loved my coaches. Hopefully, our students feel the same way!
Q: Who was the best teacher you ever had and how have they impacted your teaching? A: My high school chemistry teacher was incredible. He challenged his students while providing guidance along the way. I worked really hard in his class and felt super proud when I completed the course. As far as my teaching, I try to keep in mind that productive struggle is worthwhile and teaching kids to persevere through tasks is essential to their learning.
Q: What do you know now that you wish you had known on your first day as a teacher? A: The first few days of every school year will always feel uncomfortable. You’ll always find your groove, but it takes time! Be patient with yourself and your students.
Q: Did you always want to be a teacher? If not, what did you want to be? A: I did not always want to be a teacher! My parents taught in Detroit Public Schools for over 30 years, and I observed some of the challenges they faced daily and told myself I wasn’t going to follow in their footsteps. My undergraduate degree is in Marketing, and I always thought I wanted to be a Marketing Director or do some sort of work in Sports Marketing. I had a few internships toward the end of college, and I left each experience feeling less than fulfilled. I shared my concerns with my coach, and she helped me find a position in a school as an Academic Support Teacher. It was the most challenging position I’ve ever had, but I learned a great deal in those first four years in a classroom. I attended DePaul University and received my Masters in Math Education two years later.
Q: What is one thing you could tell your students that they wouldn’t already know? A: My current students would not know that I love the St. Louis Cardinals! We try to make a trip to St. Louis each year to watch the red birds play.
Q: Do you have any words of wisdom you’d like to pass along? A: I just try to remind myself daily that the most important aspect of my job is making connections and making each one of my students feel important and know that I truly care about them.