The Student News Site of Berkley High School

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

Spirit Week: The Buildup to Homecoming

Photo by Student Leadership

With homecoming week just around the corner, student leadership is working hard to prepare for the upcoming events like spirit week, football game, and pep assembly. With the big homecoming theme revealed on the BHS student leadership Instagram, students were pleased to hear that carnival was the chosen theme for the 2023 homecoming.
Once this was decided, the student leadership announced the theme days for spirit week. The Friday before is teacher-student swap, Tuesday is jersey day, Wednesday is western Wednesday, Thursday is Barbie vs. Oppenheimer, and Friday is class colors as well as the pep assembly. And when interviewing Jack Crawley, a sophomore in student leadership, he shared all of the behind-the-scenes work that he and his other classmates did when deciding the homecoming and spirit week themes. After interviewing him, he responded, “What inspires us is social media, our group’s creativity, and past year ideas. We talk as a class and we come together and vote and decide on what we think is best and what the students would have the most fun doing.”
To continue, at the end of the week, all students will attend the school pep assembly which will take place in the west gym this year. In previous years, student leadership made the executive decision to have this take place at Hurley Field because of the recent pandemic. When talking to students, there is a mix of reviews about which is preferred. As there are many positives and negatives to having this school event outside, Sophomore Claudia Smith explained “Outside had a very bad sound system, and in the gym we could be more hype.” On the other hand, Sophomore Vega Nischan countered this and vocalized, “ I love the walk outside to Hurley Field, and in the gym the speakers are echoey and everyone is shouting, so it’s really loud.”
Furthermore, by dressing up and engaging in the activities planned, the student body can gain excitement and anticipation for Friday’s big football game. This year, the Berkley Bears are going up against the Ferndale Eagles. Last year, the Bears had an amazing win to the Eagles. In preparation for the big game, the Bears have been working hard inside and outside of practice, doing different drills and focusing on certain techniques to improve their game for the big day. When speaking to a sophomore Eli Khoury on varsity he elaborated on this. “We are practicing and watching a lot of film. We are focusing on this week but when we get to next week we will watch a lot of film and try to do what we can do best to prepare for it. We are doing a lot of hitting drills, wrapping drills, and a lot of team offense so we can get running in and passing in. And trying to focus on tackling and our technique is really important. I’m really excited and it’s going to be my first homecoming game I play in.”
Finally, to wrap up the week with all the excitement, all grades will attend homecoming on Saturday, September 30, which will take place in the West gym this year. Students will have the opportunity to dress up, be with friends, take fun pictures, and of course, dance.