So You Want My Job: Penelope Cohen

Penelope+Cohen+
Photo by Penelope Cohen
Penelope Cohen

This article is part of an ongoing series here at The Spectator called “So You Want My Job.” In these articles, we look at high schoolers with part-time jobs to give others an understanding of their roles and why they should work where they work. But in this article, we will be looking at a Berkley student who is not getting paid for their work, they are volunteering.
Ever wanted to get first hand experience at an impressive, bustling hospital? Well, senior Penelope Cohen knows all about what it is like to be a real pharmacist from her volunteering job at Corewell Hospital, formally known as Beaumont.

Tell us about yourself.
Hi! I’m Penelope Cohen. I am 17 years old and I am from Huntington Woods. I love finding new ways to get involved in my community and help out those around me.

How’d you get this volunteer job, and what is your position?
Last year, I really wanted to find something to do on Tuesdays because every other day of the week I was busy, and I was really in need of NHS hours. I started looking up local volunteer opportunities, and I found out that the Beaumont Royal Oak hospital was looking for volunteers. This sparked my interest because it was a really unique opportunity. The next step I took was filling out an application. It required two references. I then went in for an in person interview in which the head of the volunteer department told me that a new volunteer opportunity became available in the pharmacy department. This seemed really cool because it would let me see the behind the scenes of a pharmacy, which was something that I was really interested in.

Tell us about your position working here. What does your typical day look like from start to finish?
I put on my uniform which is a red, buttoned-down shirt and black scrub pants. I get my scannable ID card, and go to the hospital. When I get there, I clock in. I will usually get a drink at the hospital Starbucks. I go to the pharmacy and say hello to the fellow staff. The other staff are always super helpful and friendly so it is always nice to see them. I get behind the register and help patients get their prescriptions. I put away and organize the different drugs. I repeat that process until it is time to close down the register and put everything away. I do this every Tuesday from 4 P.M. to 7 P.M.

What is your volunteer/life balance like in your career?
I spend a lot of time volunteering. I believe that I have around 200 hours at this point. I am able to balance my time well between volunteering, extracurriculars, jobs, and school by getting my homework done during my reduced hour at school, which gives me the extra time for what I need to do.

What is the best thing about your volunteer job?
The best thing about my volunteer job is the rewarding feeling that I get. I love to be able to help out and I love to know that I am doing a good thing.

Is there any advice/tips you would like to give to high school students interested in volunteering at CoreWell?
Not necessarily CoreWell specifically, but it is really important to find a volunteer job that actually interests you so that you can look forward to volunteering and feel good about helping out the community with something that involves your passions!