The Student News Site of Berkley High School

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

THE SPECTATOR

The Sentimental Meanings Behind Thanksgiving Foods

Pngtree

People who love Thanksgiving view it as a special time to spend with family and show gratitude, but the real Thanksgiving lovers are there for the food. The foodies love a good Thanksgiving meal, especially when their favorite dish is on the table. Plates overflow with tons of flavorful items on this day. Between the gooey mac and cheese, warm turkey drenched in thick gravy, sweet pies, and soft mashed potatoes, there is plenty of variety. Although these are some of the most loved dishes, every family has different food traditions and staples to create a magical holiday! To dig into the idea of different Thanksgiving recipes, I’m going to find out some of Berkley students’ favorite dishes for turkey day and the story behind them.
A huge fan favorite, mashed potatoes, takes control of sophomore Vega Nischan’s Thanksgiving plate. Nischan emphasizes, “Mashed potatoes easily overtake any other Thanksgiving dish, they just go with everything.” Mashed potatoes are delicious any way they are made. The smooth, buttery flavor that they hold makes the whole dish. Although they are amazing this way, Nischan explains the reasoning for her love for them, “My grandma makes the same ones every year, and it is a very traditional and unique recipe. I look forward to a huge helping on my plate to accompany any other foods.” Since her grandma makes the same ones every year, it is nostalgic and brings back memories that Nischan is very fond of. Nischan adds, “I also love the mashed potatoes because they complement green beans, turkey, and more delicious foods.” Nischan passionately shares, “Everyone should definitely eat lots of mashed potatoes, it’s my personal favorite and it could be your new favorite as well.”
Everyone has a sweet tooth on Thanksgiving, and Sophomore Brandon Levine is no different claiming, “I’m a sucker for desserts, but most importantly my grandma’s annual pumpkin pie.” Levine continues, “We go to Jackson Hole, Wyoming every year and my grandma never disappoints with her pumpkin pie.” Pumpkin pie has many amazing qualities to make your Thanksgiving delightful. It is a nice end to the meal that you can pair with many other desserts. Levine explains, “I usually have the pie with ice cream, it makes it even more delicious.” The ice cream adds a nice touch to the warm, gooey pumpkin flavor. Pumpkin is a controversial flavor, some love it and others hate it. Despite the controversy, Levine shares, “Everyone should have pumpkin pie on their Thanksgiving table this November.”
Another food that can satisfy your sweet tooth is a sweet potato with marshmallows. Junior Sophie Novell loves sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Novell explains, “I would always help my family make the dish by adding the marshmallows on top.” The marshmallows add a sweet touch to delicious food. Novell shares, “I love the taste marshmallows add to the potato.” Although the taste is delightful, Novell emphasizes her love for them, “They get better every year, not just the taste, but the memories as well.” She loves Thanksgiving, for the reason that she gets to spend time with her family. As she has grown up, she watched her family make her favorite dish and now she gets to help them. Novell explains, “Each year I am able to contribute more to the dish.” Novell loves adding her new cooking skills to the recipe. Novell certainly explains, “Now I can actually help make the sweet potato.” All of these memories make the sweet potato filled with more love and flavor. Novell advises, “Everyone should test this recipe out, I definitely recommend it.”
Thanksgiving means something different to everyone. Each dish has a meaningful backstory, often creating a love for that food. The Berkley students who shared their beloved dish each had reasoning as to why. Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to show gratitude, but it is also a great time to cherish the small memories with your family. As shown by Nichan, Levine, and Novell, each plate on the table contributes to those memories.