Club of the Month: Spikeball

Mrs. Nixon
The Spikeball club after school.

Numerous clubs for students are offered here at Berkley High School. Choosing a club to join and get involved with can be hard for some students. A great way to learn more about the new clubs at BHS is to visit Clubs in the Courtyard, but if you couldn’t make it or want to see the different clubs, this spotlight of different clubs can help you. This month one of our newest clubs is Spikeball Club, which is led by Juniors Jessie Burns and Hailey Kirkwood.
Spikeball is an exciting, four-person game. The team plays on Mondays in the west gym. I talked with Kirkwood and Burns about why they wanted to begin a Spikeball Club. They expressed, “We wanted to start our own club but we didn’t know where to start and we wanted to encourage more people to play spikeball. We get to play a lot together so we thought it would be fun for other people to get a chance to learn and play.”
In order to make a successful club, they had to put a lot of work into creating it. They shared the process: “What makes a successful club in our eyes is organization and having a great sponsor, in our case, it is Mrs. Nixon, and having a lot of people participate in your club to help it grow. For the process of making it, we had to first find a sponsor, figure out the days that we would have our club, how we would communicate with the group, create an Instagram page, and find the materials we would need to run the club.”
I asked a member what they enjoyed most about the club. Spikeball Club member junior Avery Weingarden said, “What I like most about spike ball is how one minute you can be in an intense match against your opponents, and then the next everyone is laughing at something funny that happened! I also like how the spike ball club brings together a bunch of people from every grade!”
However, once in a while, the spikeball club occasionally organizes tournaments and competitions in addition to the regular games. In order to create a competitive competition, they arrange brackets and mix teams up to play a fair game of spikeball.
Clearly, the Spikeball Club gathers a lot of friends to enjoy and play the game together. Now that we know more about the Spikeball Club, check out when their next practice is if you’re interested!